Author Topic: 2018 Re-Launch  (Read 214 times)

Illinger Covale'rahien

• Administrator
  • "He who owns the dawn."
    • M'Hael
    • The Black Tower
2018 Re-Launch
« on: April 28, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
One piece of business that I had hoped to announce at JordanCon 2018, is the end of this forum as we know it.
(Those of you that were there, or follow our Facebook group, know why I was busy.)

During our room party at JordanCon 2017, I had a chance to talk directly to many of our members about our inactivity as a group, and what we could do to improve it.  One repeated statement that I heard was that a social media structure would be preferable, both in terms of ease of use and likelyhood that those members would find time to participate.  This also makes sense to me, from a financial standpoint, as web hosting has become increasingly expensive in recent years.  And there are free solutions available through social media outlets, like Google, that could provide the same functionality or better.

Additionally, since we launched in 2016, something in the ballpark of 95% of registration requests have been spammers, not fans.  And the task of managing who is real vs. not has proven to be far more time consuming than I or our web devel team are able to handle.  It got to the point where I had to set registration entirely to manual, effectively disabling it.  (Another argument for social media, higher degree of certainty that it is a real person asking to join.)

To be completely honest, were it not for certain real-world adventures in my life this past year and forgetting that our hosting was set to auto-renew, this move would have been completed last summer.  So, my plan now is to re-launch this summer, in time for DragonCon.  And these forums will go away, as soon as I find a way to transfer whatever is worth keeping to it's new home.

As part of that project, we will be restructuring who is in charge of what.  Stay tuned to Facebook for that.

I may post my annual JordanCon recap post here, so as not to make people wait for that.  But beyond that, we are essentially done here. 

Thank you to all our members that have supported this group, and continue to do so in our Facebook group, and elsewhere coming soon.
"An asha'man was a man who defended truth and justice and right for everyone.
A guardian who would not yield even when hope was gone."
ŚRand al'Thor (Lord of Chaos, Chapter 42)

Photo by Dim Horizon Studios

Ariana Davion

• Baijan'm'hael
  • Wanderlust
    • Director of Membership
    • ariescapes
Re: 2018 Re-Launch
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 01:14:46 PM »
This sounds like a good idea. The forums are useful for many things but communities like ours it is not.

Are you considering a Discord Channel for the BT?
P E V A R A
(ノ┤ヮ┤)ノ*:・゚✧
membership@black-tower.net || webmaster@black-tower.net

Arion

• Dedicated
  • Dedicated
Re: 2018 Re-Launch
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 09:13:51 AM »
So this site will go away? Is it facebook that will take over ?